The City of Charlotte is a leader in arboriculture, tree management, and urban forest management efforts to support City Council’s interest in a robust tree canopy. This position is based in the City of Charlotte Engineering and Property Management Department's Landscape Management Division and is responsible for assisting the Tree Maintenance Supervisor in all aspects of maintaining, and preserving City street trees.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Inspect service requests from citizens and other City departments.
2. Plan, organize and direct the work of several tree maintenance contract crews to ensure all work is completed according to contract specifications.
3. Update tree inventory data as it pertains to contractor and city work.
4. Plan, organize and direct the Fall Cankerworm program.
5. Provide oversight for daily, seasonal, and annual tasks.
6. Provide technical and administrative direction and support for Tree Management section.
7. Use CityWorks work management software, Microsoft Office programs, Virtual Charlotte, and MUNIS.
8. Work with citizens/contractors to address concerns and to resolve complaints.
9. Supervise, manage, and direct subordinate staff, assign work, coach, and provide corrective discipline.
10. Develop oral and written instructions including schedules and maps to support operations.
11. Ensure safe and proper, effective and efficient equipment operation, traffic control, and emergency response as required.
12. Track performance, prepare informational/analytical reports and spread sheets, and implement changes in practices to consistently improve upon best practices.
13. Manage equipment and tool inventory, recommend and purchase equipment.
14. Participate in on call emergency program.
15. Perform any other assigned tasks as needed.
- HS Graduate/GED with 5 years experience or 2 year college degree and 3 years experience
- Good communication skills
- Valid North Carolina Class B CDL with good driving record or South Carolina Equivalent
- ISA Certified Arborist; Tree Risk Assessment Qualification required or ability to obtain TRAQwithin 6 months
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work a schedule that varies with the seasons - may include on-call, night or weekend work
- Knowledge of products and methods relating to arboriculture, horticulture, or other related fields; Prefer 5 years arboricultural experience, 3 years supervisory experience